Buyer’s Favorite Home Features
The national Top Favorite Home Features list was gathered from a recent survey, the results of which were posted on Trulia’s blog. Below are the top 5 home features from the list for first time home buyers nationally from the Trulia Survey.
I also created a list of those features that get our local Half Moon Bay area buyer’s attention.
Master Bathroom updates are truly a big plus, I also see that women seem to like tubs in the master bath. Whether it gets used or not is another story. When it comes to walk-in closets, another feature that I see that buyers like is double closets in the Master Bedroom. In the kitchen, “gourmet” means the same as “chef’s”. Some kitchens are nicely upgraded but are called “gourmet”. A gourmet kitchen is a great feature which includes high end appliances, solid surface counters, efficient cabinets & storage and much more. Decking is extremely popular for indoor-outdoor living, especially if the deck is off the kitchen/dining area for easy BBQ access…add in a pleasing view (even if it is a lovely garden) and that’s even better. Wood floors are also extremely popular here. Wood flooring is expanding from old growth to engineered and bamboo – they all look beautiful if maintained. Wood floors are definitely more popular than carpet, even new carpet.
Local – Half Moon Bay Coastside:
These additional results not from a survey, but from my working with buyers and sellers for years and seeing the reactions to hundreds of properties.
- Natural light and/or Views (ocean or greenbelt). I have seen windows get added to the south side of the house as well as skylights get added to hallways, window-less bathrooms, or entry ways.
- Garage – If not for cars, then for extra storage!
- Fireplace(s) – wood-burning provides a certain charm; however, that charm may be displaced by environmental concerns some day. Some homeowners are upgrading to gas inserts.
- Fenced back yard – for the kids, the pets, or if you border open space, to keep the wild critters at bay.
- High ceilings – enhances the feeling of space, open space, and light.
HOT features On-The-Horizon:
Ground level bedroom and full bathroom – aging parents, aging ourselves with the idea that we may be moving residences less in the future.
The in-law suite or possible rental space – a place for mom and dad, or additional income are on many minds these days.